Sunday, June 09, 2024

The Top 300 Songs of the 1980s


About three months ago*, Pitchfork, the online music magazine, put out their list of the top 200 songs of the 1980s. As a child of the 80s, I was intrigued. 

But before looking at their list to see how much they got "right," I thought it would be fun to come up with my own informal list. So I started scribbling down an “off the top of my head” collection of what I considered some of the seminal songs of the decade. Before I knew it, I was up around 60 or 70 songs. So I figured, what the heck, I’ll go up to 100 and post them with links to the songs. Nostalgic fun, right?

But the more songs I added, the more that new ones occurred to me. Eventually the list exceeded Pitchfork’s total. I finally had to stop at 300. There were a lot of good songs in the 1980s.



As I was compiling my own list, I never looked at any formal lists of the best or most popular songs of the decade. That was the most important part of this endeavor. It had to all come from me.

But I admit that while watching a music video on YouTube or listening to a song to determine if it still held up, I would invariably come across other possible candidates via the YouTube autoplay function or some Google search that led me to a compilation of someone’s mix of their favorite 80s songs. So I did get a little help in that regard.

I did also come across a list of top one-hit wonders and a list of the top albums of the decade, which proved useful. But as far as legitimate “top songs of the decade” lists, a la’ Pitchfork, I consulted none.

My point is, it’s entirely possible that I left off some obvious songs that I would have included if I’d consulted some fancy, formal lists. I’m actually very curious to see how often that happened when I look at the Pitchfork list (as soon as I submit this post). But I probably won’t be too upset if it happened a lot. After all, this was an experiment in nostalgia. I’m not a music critic or a music librarian. I’m a music fan.

Along those lines, you may find that some popular songs are missing by design. I specifically left off some songs that I classify under the sophisticated moniker of “sucky.” They were left off intentionally and sometimes, with a bit of malice. Songs I include among the sucky have either aged badly, are familiar but overrated or just always sucked.

Like my Top 300, this list could have been much longer as well but it seemed kind of mean to compile a massive list of crappy songs. So I just listed the absolute worst offenders. Also, I only have so much time for this sort of thing.

Additionally, with one exception (can you find it?), I excluded instrumentals. I had to have some rules. Actually there were really only 3 rules:


Rule #1: Vocals were required. Otherwise, this thing would have gone well past 400 and been littered with the likes of Chariots Of Fire, Miami Vice and Axel F, among many others.


Rule #2: No more than 8 songs per artist (because it was the 80s, get it?). Admittedly, I may have broken this completely arbitrary rule too. In a few cases, an artist’s solo and band work pushed them over the limit. But in general, eight was the max. Unless I wanted to include nine.


As I mentioned previously, this list is almost all a result of memory, curiosity and stumbling about through various forms of media. I will say that Wikipedia was awesome in helping me determine whether a song was legitimately from the 1980s or not. I may have fudged slightly in a few cases. For example, if a song was available on an album that was released in the 80s but the single wasn’t released until 1990, I allowed it. Who cares, really? In another case, a version of the song came out in 1987 but was later remixed and re-released in 1990 to greater chart success. But I say so what.


So that’s Rule #3: If I could have heard it in the 80s, it counts as far as I’m concerned.


Another note: In general, I tried to use links to the music video for the song in question. This was after all the apex of the music video, if not in quality, then at least in ubiquity. Plus, they’re just fun.

However, in some cases the sound quality was so bad as to require simply linking to audio of the song. In a few rare cases, an alternate variation on the song (live performances, fan-made videos, etc.) were more interesting than the original video. And sadly, with a couple of artists (including one you can probably guess), finding any audio of particular songs was virtually impossible for copyright and other reasons. That became even more of a challenge when YouTube announced their new subscription service in the middle of compiling this list. I did the best I could but a few songs are linkless.

And finally, it goes without saying. But I will say it anyway. This list is subjective. I have not studied music theory. I was never in a band. A song that might mean nothing to you could evoke my memories of things like:

-going to a concert with friends; 

-or playing pool at a party at a buddy’s house when his parents were out of town; 

-or standing around a keg in the woods with a red, plastic cup of beer in my hand, surrounded by 50 people, maybe 5 of whom I knew;

-or of desperately wanting to ask the girl I was crushing on to dance at a Bat Mitzvah party but being too terrified to do anything other than watch her dance in a circle with her friends. 

The songs that played in those moments imprinted permanently on my brain, for good or ill, mostly for good.

Those moments played a far greater role in deciding how high a song ranked than whether the drumwork was subtle or the harmonies were inventive or any of that other criteria that music experts reference (although there is some of that). As I mentioned, all that could have gone unsaid. Call it a pre-defense, I guess.

Personally, I was shocked at how many of these songs are tied in my memory to a movie (or occasionally a TV show), usually also from the 80s. The combination of movie scenes and songs apparently acted like some kind of pop culture speedball for me. And it has given me the spark for my next mega-list: Top movies of the 1980s.

But that’s a list for another day. Let’s stay on topic.

So here it is- my unofficial, totally subjective, definitely not definitive but unquestionably exhaustive list of the top 300 songs of the 1980s. And they’re in reverse order of course, because that’s more fun.

But before we get started, here’s that short list I promised you, just to get it out of the way up front:

THE SUCKY SONGS 

Whip It  
Electric Avenue 
Pass The Dutchie  
Walk Like An Egyptian
Red Red Wine- And I like red wine, so you know I must really dislike this song. 
Talking In Your Sleep- Creepy song. Also, a really pervy video.
We Are The World -Even though this song has a lot of artists who will be high on the other list, this song is just awful.


RUNNER UP FOR SUCKIEST SONG OF THE 80s:

We Built This City -Perhaps the least “rock & roll” song ever recorded about rock & roll.


AND THE AWARD FOR THE SUCKIEST SONG OF THE 80s GOES TO:

Mickey - Mickey: for when you don’t have a mallet with which to repeatedly slam yourself in the skull. 

Yuck! 

Now with that out of the way, on to the good stuff…



THE TOP 300 SONGS OF THE 1980s 

300-276 

300. Der Kommissar by Falco
299. (I’ve Had) The Time Of My Life by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes- Yes, I am putting Baby in the corner.
297. Ebony and Ivory by Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder
296. Waiting For A Star To Fall by Boy Meets Girl
295. Take Me Home Tonight by Eddie Money
294. Wild Wild West by Escape Club
293. Blame It On The Rain by Milli Vanilli- Despite everything, it’s still catchy.  
292. Karma Chameleon by Culture Club 
291. Arthur’s Theme (Best That You Can Do) by Christopher Cross
290. Heaven by Bryan Adams
289. I Can’t Wait by Nu Shooz
288. Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears
287. Paradise City by Guns N’ Roses
286. Thriller by Michael Jackson- A good song elevated by a great video.
285. Endless Love by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie
284. Saved by Zero by The Fixx
283. Tom’s Diner by Suzanne Vega
282. Rock the Casbah by The Clash
281. Private Dancer by Tina Turner
280. Tell It To My Heart by Taylor Dayne
279. I Want Candy by Bow Wow Wow
278. The Greatest Love Of All by Whitney Houston- Part of me prefers Ben Vereen’s version but this is solid too.
277. Harden My Heart by Quarterflash
276. Looks That Kill by Motley Crue

275-251

275. Cuts Like A Knife by Bryan Adams   
274. Foolish Heart by Steve Perry
273. Catch Me (I’m Falling) by Pretty Poison
272. Seasons Change by Expose- Harp alert!
271. Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison- It’s true what Bret Michaels says about thorns.
270. Sign Your Name by Terence Trent D’Arby
269. Don’t Let’s Start by They Might Be Giants
268. Rio by Duran Duran
267. Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship
266. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go by Wham!
265. Can’t Hardly Wait by The Replacements
264. Hold On Loosely by .38 Special
263. Here Comes The Rain Again by The Eurythmics
262. Welcome To The Jungle by Guns N’ Roses
261. Eyes Without A Face by Billy Idol
260. It’s My Life by Talk Talk
259. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
258. Celebration by Kool & The Gang 
257. Angel Eyes by The Jeff Healey Band
256. Eat It by “Weird” Al Yankovic- Way more clever than it had to be.
255. Up Where We Belong by Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes- This (German TV?) performance footage is Cocker-tastic. He’s like a tiny, flailing baby.
254. Holiday Road by Lindsay Buckingham
253. At This Moment by Billy Vera & the Beaters- Would this song be here without “Family Ties?” Probably not. But neither Alex P. Keaton nor I care. 
252. Glamour Boys by Living Colour
251. Watching The Wheels by John Lennon

250-226

250. Centerfold by J. Geils Band- As a kid, I thought I’d get in trouble just for listening to a song called "Centerfold."
249. Mad World by Tears For Fears- Some folks like the Gary Jules version even better. But that wasn’t from the 80s and this take is just fine, thank you very much.
248. Easy Lover by Philip Bailey and Phil Collins
247. Promises, Promises by Naked Eyes
246. Hands To Heaven by Breathe- Magnificent cheese.
245. Shattered Dreams by Johnny Hates Jazz- I wouldn't have guessed that the same man who directed this video also directed this movie.
244. On My Own by Patti LaBelle and Michael McDonald- "And we weren't even married..."
243. Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle
242.  Footloose by Kenny Loggins- It's iconic, but there are definitely better songs on this soundtrack. Proof is forthcoming.
241. Exile by Enya- The first time I heard this was in a movie theater in St. Louis, waiting for the start of “Highlander II: The Quickening.” The song was the only positive part of that experience.
240. Heart and Soul by Huey Lewis And The News
239. On The Wings of Love by Jeffrey Osborne
238. Our House by Madness
237. Rosanna by Toto
236. Let’s Go Crazy by Prince
235. The Heart of The Matter by Don Henley
234. Save A Prayer by Duran Duran
233. Borderline by Madonna- Think this should be higher? Don’t worry. There’s more Madonna coming.
232. Never Tear Us Apart by INXS
231. New Year’s Day by U2- Not the last time you’ll see this band on the list.
230. Take My Breath Away by Berlin
229. Everything She Wants by Wham!
228. Pretty In Pink by The Psychedelic Furs
227. Should I Stay Or Should I Go by The Clash
226. Keep On Loving You by REO Speedwagon- I liked this song even before I discovered the associated video, which totally holds up. Totally.

225-201

225. White Wedding by Billy Idol
224. Just A Friend by Biz Markie- Biz stays surprisingly even-keeled describing how he was wronged.
223. Just Once by James Ingram- Three words: Last. American. Virgin. (Spoiler alert!)
221. All I Want Is You by U2
220. The Way It Is by Bruce Hornsby
219. Against All Odds by Phil Collins
218. Last Christmas by Wham!- This isn’t even the saddest George Michael Christmas song on the list, which is odd, considering that it’s such a specific subset.
217. Islands In The Stream by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton
216. Jump by Van Halen
215. Wanted Dead Or Alive by Bon Jovi- I didn’t like this song until it was used in the classic Young Guns 2.”  (Updated: Apparently my memory is faulty and it was "Blaze of Glory" in the film. HT: Love, Music & Movies. Still, I stand by "Wanted...").
214. We Don’t Need Another Hero by Tina Turner
213. 867-5309/Jenny by Tommy Tutone
212. She’s A Beauty by The Tubes- The song is good. The video is a little bit terrifying. That’s not unexpected because it was directed by Kenny Ortega, who went on to helm this.
211. Do You Believe in Love by Huey Lewis And The News
210. Caribbean Queen (No More Love On The Run) by Billy Ocean
209. The Warrior by Scandal featuring Patty SmythUnusual lyric alert: "your eyes touch me physically."
208. When the Children Cry by White Lion- Come on, admit it. When you’re alone in the car and it comes on, you don’t turn the station. 
207. The Mayor of Simpleton by XTC     
206. Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners- When lead singer Kevin Rowland sings “I’m gonna hum this tune forever,” why does it feel like a threat?
205. I Can Dream About You by Dan Hartman- Why does Dan Hartman completely ignore the pretty girl who dances on the bar with him in the video? Doesn’t he know that’s Joyce “Terri” Hyser from “Just One of The Guys? 
204. 1999 by Prince
203. Higher Love by Steve Winwood- Perfect pick-me-up for when you are a homesick fourteen year old, alone at debate camp in Michigan…or so I’ve been told.
202. Chains of Love by Erasure
201. Since You’re Gone by The Cars 

***

200-191

***

200. Love Plus One by Haircut 100
199. Heartbreak Beat by The Psychedelic Furs 
198. Glory Days by Bruce Springsteen    
197. Woman In Chains by Tears For Fears- Oleta Adams much?
196. Lips Like Sugar by Echo & the Bunnymen       
195. Janie’s Got A Gun by Aerosmith
194. Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley- Rickrolling has turned this song into a joke but man, is it catchy. 
193. Holding Out For A Hero by Bonnie Tyler 
192. Every Time You Go Away by Paul Young 
191. Hello by Lionel Richie- Trust me, if you like this song, as I do, you are better off not watching the video, which includes a massive clay sculpture of Lionel “Professor Reynolds” Richie’s head. You’ve been warned.       

190-181

190. Heart and Soul by T’Pau- You think you’re going to get sick of it, but then you don’t. 
189. Hurts So Good by John Mellencamp
188. These Dreams by Heart
187. The Closer You Get by Alabama- I’m not a big country music guy, but I'm fond of this twangy jam.
186. Secret Lovers by Atlantic Starr- They don’t seem to feel even a little bit guilty.
185. Tender Years by John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band- Hello Bruce Springsteen, Jr.     
184. Gypsy by Fleetwood Mac      
183. Material Girl by Madonna      
182. Something About You by Level 42
181. It Must Have Been Love (Christmas For The Broken-Hearted) by Roxette

180-171

180. Playing With The Boys by Kenny Loggins- “That’s right, Ice…Man. I am dangerous.”
179. Hurts To Be In Love by Gino Vannelli- Do you remember when this dominated the Top 5 at 9 on San Antonio’s KTSA 550 AM? Of course you do.   
178. More Than This by Roxy Music    
177. Everyday I Write The Book by Elvis Costello and the Attractions
176. Any Day Now by Ronnie Milsap- I genuinely love how resigned he is here. Buck up, Ronnie!
175. Physical by Olivia Newton John- So this song is about aerobics, right? 
174. Never Surrender by Corey Hart- If you had told me this guy would make the list, I would have said, “No. No he won’t.”
173. Under The Milky Way by The Church
172. Candy Girl by New Edition- I can’t believe the Jackson 5 tried to rip these guys off.
171. Love Bites by Def Leppard

170-161

170. If You Leave by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark- This song might be even higher if they spelled their name normally.
169. Forever Young by Alphaville- Not even a crappy Kirk Cameron movie can ruin this song.
168. Trouble by Lindsey Buckingham- Mellow gold    
167. I’ll Be Over You by Toto
166. Everlasting Love by Howard Jones 
165. St. Elmo’s Fire (Main In Motion) by John Parr            
164. The Next Time I Fall by Peter Cetera and Amy Grant- I cannot confirm that the mental imprint from my teenhood of Amy Grant pensively staring out a window in a jeans jacket and hoop earrings had any impact on the rank of this song.   
163. Should’ve Known Better by Richard Marx- I hope the former Mr. Cynthia Rhodes doesn’t get angry that I didn’t put him higher on this list. I mean, this a really good song.
162. Whisper To A Scream (Birds Fly) by Icicle Works
161. Holding Back The Years by Simply Red

160-151

160. I Wanna Be Adored by The Stone Roses
159. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake- I cannot hear this song without thinking of (pre-meltdown) Tawny Kitaen, nor do I want to.     
158. Run To You by Bryan Adams- Ever notice that the actress in all the Bryan Adams videos was also the Princess Leia-inspired character in the lame 80s "Star Wars" knockoff, "Krull?"
157. Panama by Van Halen     
156. Modern Love by David Bowie
155. 99 Luftballons by Nena- I figured this would end up higher on the list but it hasn’t aged super well.
154. Alone by Heart    
153. Sunglasses at Night by Corey Hart- If you told me this guy would make the list twice, I would have recommended medication.
152. What’s Love Got To Do With It by Tina Turner
151. Hold Me Now by Thompson Twins

150-141

150. True Colors by Cyndi Lauper
149. Always Something There To Remind Me by Naked Eyes
148. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys    
147. She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult- Best song ever to listen to while your high school buddy is way-too-proudly doing doughnuts in a parking lot in his red IROC Camaro.
146. Wave of Mutilation by Pixies
145. Blister In The Sun by Violet Femmes
144. Fall On Me by R.E.M.
143. Once In A Lifetime by Talking Heads
142. Jack & Diane by John Cougar
141. Love Is a Battlefield by Pat Benatar

140-131

140. Love My Way by The Psychedelic Furs
139. I Ran (So Far Away) by A Flock of Seagulls
138. Beat It by Michael Jackson
137. In A Big Country by Big Country
136. Love Will Never Do (Without You) by Janet Jackson
135. Sara by Starship- You roll your eyes but admit it, if you’re alone, you’re singing this. Also Rebecca DeMornay music video alert.        
134. Lady by Kenny Rogers
133. Do They Know It’s Christmas by Band Aid- This is the saddest George Michael Christmas song on the list.
132. I Keep Forgettin’ (Every Time You’re Near) by Michael McDonald- Great song. Not sure what’s going on at the end of the video though. It goes to a weird, creepy place.
131. Raised On The Radio by The Ravyns- Some might ask if this is so high because of “Fast Times at Ridgemont High?” But like the stripes in Aquafresh toothpaste, they cannot be separated. The song kicks in at the 2:00 mark.

130-121

130. No Myth by Michael Penn- I knew reading “Wuthering Heights” in 12th grade would eventually pay off.
129. Luka by Suzanne Vega
128. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
127. I Would Die 4 U by Prince
126. Handle With Care by Traveling Wilburys 
125. Sweet Love by Anita Baker 
124. Suedehead by Morrissey        
123. Africa by Toto
122. Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper- If you sing it slow and mournful-like, this also makes for a good lullaby.
121. Just Can’t Get Enough by Depeche Mode

120-111

120. Faith by George Michael
119. Voices Carry by Til Tuesday
118. I Go Crazy by Flesh For Lulu- From the movie that got the “Pretty In Pink” ending right.  
117. Theme from “Harry’s Game” by Clannad- I don’t understand a word of this but man is it pretty.
116. And We Danced by The Hooters- Remember that Bat Mitzvah party crush story I mentioned in the introduction? This is the song.    
115. Magic by The Cars
114. Radio Free Europe by R.E.M.- This is footage of the band’s first ever nationally televised performance. It was on Letterman. They don’t waste it.
113. Little Red Corvette by Prince
112. Cruel Crazy Beautiful World by Johnny Clegg & Savuka- This song is completely free of cynicism. It makes me happy. Wink?
111. Maniac by Michael Sembello                     

110-101

110. Late Night, Maudlin Street by Morrissey 
109. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor 
108. Sister Christian by Night Ranger- The 2nd best song in the “Boogie Nights”/Alfred Molina mega-80s mix.
107. Things Can Only Get Better by Howard Jones
106. In Between Days by The Cure
105. Crazy For You by Madonna
104. I’m On Fire by Bruce Springsteen
103. Don’t Give Up by Peter Gabriel featuring Kate Bush
102. Bastards of Young by The Replacements
101. When You Were Mine by Cyndi Lauper- I first came across this song when it was performed by Mitch Ryder in Hot Dog… The Movie,” but my attention wasn’t really on the songs when I saw that flick.          

***

100-91


*** 

100. Toy Soldiers by Martika- I like this song even more now than I did in 1989.
99. Lessons In Love by Level 42
98. The Promise by When In Rome- Best song for playing pool at a friend’s house party.
97. Runaway by Bon Jovi
96. Never As Good As The First Time by Sade
95. Lady In Red by Chris DeBurgh
94. Bad by U2I couldn’t help but use concert performances for several U2 songs. I guess that says something about them as a live act.
93. Change by John Waite
92. Bengali in Platforms by Morrissey- “He only wants to embrace your culture.” This has got to be the most delicate, achingly beautiful ode to aspiring immigrant assimilation in the history of pop music.  “Life is hard enough when you belong here.” Indeed.           
91. Walk This Way by RUN DMC ft. Aerosmith

90-81


90. Dance Hall Days by Wang Chung
89. Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes
88. Waiting On A Friend by The Rolling Stones
87. True Faith by New Order
86. Like The Weather by 10,000 Maniacs
85. Don’t Dream It’s Over by Crowded House
84. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler- If I was a good singer, this might be my go-to karaoke jam.
83. Get Down On It by Kool & The Gang    
82. Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye- Somehow, I don’t think this is the song Marvin Gaye would want to be remembered for. But it’s the one that introduced me to him. Well, that and this amazingness.  
81. Faithfully by Journey


80-71



80Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds- I'm just including this because I know you want it.
79. I’m Free (Heaven Helps The Man) by Kenny Loggins-It wasn’t a huge hit but this is the best song on the “Footlose” soundtrack. Also Virginia Madsen music video alert.  
78. Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush
77. Smooth Operator by Sade
76. Summer of ’69 by Bryan Adams- Even as pre-teen with almost zero life experience, I felt an aching bittersweet nostalgia when I first heard this song. I still do.        
75. Your Love by The Outfield- Best song to listen to on your Walkman while lying in your bunk at summer camp.
74. (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!) by Beastie Boys
73. Tenderness by General Public   
72. Man In The Mirror by Michael Jackson
71. How Will I Know by Whitney Houston- Listening to this sonic bauble of pop perfection should be exhilarating. But it’s hard to shake off the foreknowledge that it’s mostly all downhill from here.


70-61

   
70. Patience by Guns N’ Roses
68. The Ghost In You by The Psychedelic FursThis is the highest ranking song by a band whose music holds up way better than you’d expect.     
67. Somebody’s Baby by Jackson Browne- Great, even without the “Fast Times at Ridgemont High" connection.
66. Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want by The Smiths- Short and sweet. Also, my daughters’ theme song. And then there's this.
65. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
64. Goodbye to You by Scandal- About as much fun as an 80s pop song can get.
63. Our Lips Are Sealed by The Go Gos- See comment regarding song #64. Re-apply.
62. Hazy Shade of Winter by The Bangles- How can the band who did the execrable “Walk Like an Egyptian” also have recorded this excellent cover?
61. Express Yourself by Madonna


60-51


60. Tainted Love by Soft Cell- It’s not the song’s fault that it’s been massively overplayed.
59. You Make My Dreams Come True by Hall & Oates
58. Free Fallin’ by Tom Petty
57. Pink Houses by John Mellencamp
56. Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol
54. Allentown by Billy Joel- This is his only song on the list but its theme resonates as much today as it did in 1982, maybe even more so.
53. Cruel Summer by Bananarama- Every time I hear this, one image pops into my head: Elisabeth Shue in “The Karate Kid.”
52. When Doves Cry by Prince
51. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2- “This song is not a rebel song.”

                                        
50-41
                                           

50. In My Room by Yaz(oo)- Gimmicky and affecting at the same time.
49. This Woman's Work by Kate Bush- A gorgeous song. Hard to cover. Cojones. 
48. Human Nature by Michael Jackson                    
47. Caught Up In You by .38 Special- Perhaps the greatest bad video ever.
46. Bring On the Dancing Horses by Echo & the Bunnymen
45. Where Is My Mind by Pixies- This song was great well before Tyler Durden, Pretty cool concert footage here.
44. In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins
43. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears- Popcorn! 
42. Nightshift by Commodores
41. Livin’ On A Prayer by Bon Jovi


40-31


40. Overkill by Men At Work
39. Slave To Love by Bryan Ferry
38. Don’t Stand So Close To Me ’86 by The Police- How many pop songs make a teenager do research on mid-20th century literary classics? At least one.
37. Love On A Real Train by Tangerine Dream- The sole instrumental on this list. I make no apologies. There are other YouTube clips that go well with this song, but I don’t want to get you in trouble at work.
36. Sweetest Taboo by Sade- Of all the sexy, sexy Sade songs from the 80s, this is the sexiest.
35. It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) by R.E.M.- The best 80s sing-along song I can’t sing along to.
34. Here Comes Your Man by Pixies- The closest to a traditional pop song these guys ever got.
33. Add It Up by Violet Femmes- The best 80s sing-along song I can sing along to.
32. Missing You by John Waite
31. Disintegration by The Cure- The best 80s song for a teenager to play on your walkman while on a boat, alone at night on the deck, staring out at the darkness of the ocean, wondering if you’d ever find your place in the world. Or something like that.


30-21


30. Edge of Seventeen by Stevie Nicks- Apparently she is not singing “just like the one we know.”
29. Holiday by Madonna- Still feels fresh today. Remember Madonna before she took herself so seriously? Also, I think this video cost $14 to make.              
28. Every Breath You Take by The Police
27. Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie- I’m still mad at Vanilla Ice.
26. Don’t You Want Me by The Human League- Still a menacingly effective creepfest you can tap your toes to.
25. Fast Car by Tracy Chapman
24. One More Try by George Michael- For a teenage kid who’d yet to fall in love, the pain and longing in this song made the whole concept seem almost scary.
23. Don’t Stop Believin’ by Journey- This song was iconic well before The Sopranos” or "Glee" got their hands on it. 
22. Take On Me by A-Ha- Just hearing the opening drum (machine?) beat gives me a goofy smile. And while this list is about the songs, not the videos, it’s amazing how well this one holds up. It’s the rare video that can be considered art. 
21. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC- If you were at a 1980s high school house party and this came on, it was time for almost everyone with XY chromosomes to break out the air guitar.

THE TOP 20


20-11


20. Here Comes A Regular by The Replacements- If there was a competition for most under-appreciated band of the last 30 years, Pixies would probably win. But these guys would certainly merit serious discussion. This is their best song.

19. Everyday Is Like Sunday by Morrissey- Who would have thought that a great song could involve someone cooing the phrase, “Come Armageddon come?”

18. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel- I never really thought Diane Court was worthy of Lloyd's efforts. She gave him a frickin’ pen.

17. Sweet Child ‘o’ Mine by Guns N’ Roses- In a decade of synthesizer music (which I’m fine with. I mean, look at this list), this straight out rock and roll song was a nice change of pace.

16. Somebody by Depeche Mode- I love how sparse and vulnerable this sounds. Almost exclusively voice, piano and aching longing. That it comes from a group not known for restraint makes it even more impressive.

15. True by Spandau Ballet- There are few 80s tunes more iconic than this one. I don’t remember another song by this group. But this one is so lush and ardent, it’s borderline ridiculous. In a good way.   

14. Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield- This song was so catchy that it took me much longer than it should have to register just how creepy the protagonist is. Maybe because he’s been funny and cool with the lines?

13. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson- Is this the best Michael Jackson song of all time? Yes it is.

12. With or Without You by U2- The best song ever to sing at the top of your lungs with one high school friend while sitting in the back of a fast-moving pickup truck driven by another friend, headed nowhere in particular on a Saturday night.         

11. Careless Whisper by Wham! Featuring George Michael- Possibly a more powerful cautionary tale than “Fatal Attraction.”







THE TOP 10



10-1






10. Just Like Heaven by The Cure- This song got the most enthusiastic response from everyone at my prom. So that officially gets it in the top ten, don’t you think? 

9. Live To Tell by Madonna- Discovering that the woman who sang light, fun fare like “Holiday” and “Like A Virgin” was capable of something this resonant was like learning that the dude from “Meatballs” could legitimately be an Oscar contender. It was the best kind of shocking.

8. Bust A Move by Young M.C.- I didn’t expect this song to end up so high, but it is so earworm-y, infectious and exhilarating that it deserves the ranking. Try not to smile while listening.

7. Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order- Synth it up! Is there a more definitively 80s-sounding song? It feels so of a certain moment. And yet the hook still works. I guess I’m not the only one who feels a connection to it.

6. How Soon Is Now? by The Smiths- Morrissey’s on this list a lot, and justifiably so. But nothing else he did topped this swooning, majestic bit of Brit-sulk-pop perfection. Everything works, from his plaintive voice to Johnny Marr’s magisterial guitar work, which acts as a kind of vocal response to the singer. They are human and they need to be loved. And they are. 

5. Pride (In the Name of Love) by U2- The best stadium anthem song of the 80s, by a band with a bunch of them. U2 may have one or two better songs in their catalogue but none of them were released in the 80s.

4. Purple Rain by Prince- The most incredible thing about this song, even more than its virtuosity, is how un-80s it feels. Some of the highest ranked songs on this list, like #10, #7 and even #2, feel like time capsules from the decade. But this classic could have been released in 1970 or 2015. It’s timeless.

3. Debaser by Pixies- There are two ways to look at this song. First, it’s the best one from a band that pre-dated grunge’s popularity by half a decade and inspired an entire generation of musicians. It’s hard to imagine Nirvana without Pixies. Second (and more importantly), this is just a “peel the paint off the walls,” adrenaline syringe of a song. It’s like a primal scream with melody. And the fact that I have no idea what Frank/Black/Francis/Thompson is singing about doesn’t matter at all. And like “Purple Rain,” it feels like it could have been released yesterday.

2. I Melt With You by Modern English- The definitive “80s" song. It has all the hallmarks of the era: synthesizers, a British vocalist rhapsodizing about sexual yearning and a melting pot of pop, new wave with a soupcon of early shoegazing. And unlike some pure 80s songs, it’s aged shockingly well. Plus, it helped make this film iconic.


And here it is. The number one song of the 1980s is:


1. The Boys of Summer by Don Henley 

Surprised? Give it another listen. The ache and longing are almost tangible. But part of what makes it resonate in a deeper way that the similarly-themed “Summer of ’69” by Bryan Adams (#76) is that here, the narrator isn't just engaging in bittersweet nostalgia about the past. Here he's still in the present. Yet he's already haunted by lost love, lost youth and missed opportunities, even though those things aren’t yet in the past.

Henley, already 37 when this song was released, assumes the persona of a younger man still in the throes of a love that's slipping away. But he imbues the young guy with the weary wisdom of an older man who has dealt with regret and disappointment. 

He says he’ll win his lost love back, but it sounds like he’s trying to convince himself more than her. His old school heart inevitably loses out to the modern, the now, the young, the strong. And the music reinforces that. The relentless drums compete with and ultimately outlasts the slow plaintive, bluesy guitar riffs that pop up at the beginning and middle of the song but are nowhere to be found by the end.

But take a peek at the video, especially at 3:10. Even though he knows all this in his head and even tells himself “Don’t look back. You can never look back,” what does he do? He looks back. Because he can’t help it. Just like anyone who grew up in the 80s and actually worked their way through this entire blog post can’t help but look back. 

For the character in this song, what he sees are “days gone forever” and he seems devastated by it. Hopefully, for the rest of us, the trip down memory lane is filled with more joy than pain.


*****

So that's it. My list- subjective, unprofessional and almost completely defined by personal memories, as it should be. Now I'm going to check out that Pitchfork list and see what the experts think. But it won't change my opinion. After all, the Pitchfork editors weren't there when I chickened out and didn't ask that girl to dance at that Bat Mitzvah party. That memory and the song associated with it (#116) are like fossils, capturing a particular moment in time. And while they may not belong in a museum, they're precious to me.


*****


For anyone who still hasn't gotten their fix, here's a quick list of songs I liked that just DIDN'T QUITE MAKE THE CUT:

I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues by Elton John, Rhythm Of The Night by DeBarge, Wishing Well by Terence Trent D’Arby, Legs by ZZ Top, Fresh by Kool & The Gang, Kokomo by Beach Boys, That’s What Friends Are For by Dionne and Friends, One Thing Leads To Another by The Fixx, Endless Summer Nights by Richard Marx, We’re Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister, Rebel Yell by Billy Idol, I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner, Buffalo Stance by Neneh Cherry, Hungry Heart by Bruce Springsteen, Like A Virgin by Madonna, Shout by Tears For Fears, Oh Sherrie by Steve Perry, How Can I Fall by Breathe, Mad About You by Belinda Carlisle, You Belong To The City by Glenn Frey, She Drives Me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals, The Look Of Love by ABC


* This piece was originally posted on November 20, 2015.

Next up (but not for a while): Top Movies of the 1980s.









5 comments:

Lovemusic&movies said...

Blaze of glory was bon jovi song for young guns 2...

Lovemusic&movies said...

Blaze of glory was bon jovi song for young guns 2...

andirant said...

Thanks. I've updated the post to reflect my clumsy memory.

Kamy said...

You should make a Spotify list you can share! I was at Lucky Strike a few weeks back having lunch (alone) and the 80s music was so amazing I kept stopping mid-mastication in awe. I asked the bartender what was playing (Pandora station?) and he said he'd made the list himself, and if I followed him on Spotify I could access it. You should check it out, his name is Jacob Ide and the list is called 80s. It would be interesting to see how the two match up...

andirant said...

I will have to take a look at this list you mention, Maybe I'll make my own when I have a few hours to spare. Thanks for the feedback!
:-)